These first two were not re-dyed after this wash-out.
This came out a very light intensity. Needs more work.
This is possibly the ugliest fabric I ever made. Each layer added more "ugliness" to it. Ironically I am cutting off the left strip to actually use.
These were the pieces I put big wax dots on to hold the color off so that I could add a different color after washing. Here they are in their last two stages: This first one was quite a light green, almost limey. I later added "bubble gum" dots then over dyed the entire piece in a medium olive bath. to knock down that light green.
This piece gave me one of the best outcomes in that I used both dark green and olive together to get that vari-color. I will use this technique again.
The dots didn't add much but, oh well.
I am actually using this (above) foreground in my first finished "horizon"
This was a really wide piece so I did half purple and turquoise and the other purple and pink. I may use the turquoise half. I don't think I will repeat the "DOT" experiment again...
Another wonderful day of play with thickened dye. I made some preliminary sketches and notes yesterday when I had a few minutes and I was anxious to get started. I did "all these things" before starting thinking after "all that" it was about 8:30. It was 6:35. I stopped at 10:40 to go out to lunch with Brian and this is what I made in those hours.
Sketchbook notes and watercolor sketches from yesterday
First go at a solid immersion dyed background. The dots were waxed to keep the color of the background off the dots and tomorrow I will dye the dots pink or purple.
Dried on the line - not even rung out. I will use boiling water to remove the wax, wash, iron and add the pink or purple dye.
These dots will also be colored. I will determine color after holding it up to various horizons to see which colors the foreground may enhance.
A new kinder gentler olive. Hope it holds up.
This is is STILL so busy that I think it is beyond help. After washing and drying I will hold it up to some of the horizons.
I am "just looking" although I think one I'll start actually making into a finished piece is the second one. On this first one I need to create some sort of darker horizon line that will perk this up OR I can scrap making it for now.
This one I absolutely love and I also have another horizon just like this one but in more vivid colors. I may end up using that but at least I know the two pieces look OK together. Actually they look better than OK.
I think I am happy with two of the foregrounds at least for now. I want to make five pieces all at once so I had to calm down and determine to just work on finishing one while resolving issues with the other foregrounds. One of the worst offenders was the dark striped fabric that was "supposed" to look like rows of whatever growing in a field and was to be used vertically. Well that wasn't going to happen. The light was way too light and the dark looked like death. What to do?? Dream. Yes, while dreaming I came up with two answers to problems. This was the first:
I used the thermofax screen of "grass" and Jacquard Discharge paste. This was my set up on my ugly ironing board with the discharge paste on a piece of scrap Plexiglas using a credit card.
In case you were wondering why I covered my ironing table with such ugly fabric, that's why. It was ugly and useless. I concentrated on the two dark bands of color: olive and dark green.
I absolutely LOVE this effect.
Now on to the rope stamped fabric I waxed (batiked) in straight lines
I used the "grass" again with discharge paste
Better but another layer is needed. I need something to break up the grid-like appearance. Maybe "wheat" and/or "grass" in olive thickened dye (????) More contemplation needed. I am telling myself Don't Rush!!
I made these "foregrounds or field a while ago when I first started the landscape series. Wow, that WAS a long time ago!!. They did come out as intended but way to light. This was my problems with my first attempts at horizons.
Rope stamp above and batik striped fabric below.
Maybe a blender filled with Margarita's sets your heart to pitter patter but I prefer a blender of thick print paste!!
I mixed up three greens. With my olive I was a bit to generous when adding the dye powder. It is very dark. I also made a batch of "dark green" (name of dye) and I also made my own green with sun yellow and basic blue then tapped in just a whiff of "dark green" dye to intensify the color a bit.
I returned to my Plexiglas palette and huge sea sponge.
I did three rows with a gradation of the three greens.
This was the start of "bushes" in two colors on the striped green batik.
I used a tool invented by my friend Marcella's brother, Mark, who is also an artist. Thanks Mark for a great tool. He calls it a chrysanthemum and I have used it before on the blog when making paste paper.
Filled fabric in three shades of green. I used the tool as a stamp.
This fabric was my wonderful rope stamped batik with stripes of hot wax colored in dark green and olive dye.
Striped batik with wavy lines of hot wax colored in three shades of green
I made one more panel on the rope stamp fabric and used the chrysanthemum tool with a twist. However I forgot to photograph it. You'll see it finished in the next post.
It's raining buckets so I've strung up a line in the Art Greenhouse.
That last piece with the tool twist in three colors of green
My temporary drying line. Yes, I dry all my dyes on the line then wash out when completely dry. There is no bleeding. Batiks get the boiling water and Ivory dish soap treatment (disperses wax but doesn't dissolve it) then directly in the washing machine.