13 July 2016

The Black Box Finished

It might take me a while but I almost always finish what I started. Here is the first post where you saw the box.
I started out with plans to paint the box but that was a total failure. It had to do with the paint. Then I came up with this crazy idea of embroidering the same designs onto wool suiting that I embroidered onto the cotton book cover from the first post. I like to have something to work on in front of the TV at night because if my hands are busy making something, they are not stuffing food into my mouth (smile).



This is the cloth "Kantha" stitched book from the Dorothy Caldwell workshop at the Crow Barn.



This is my design drawn on to the wool suiting with a white chalk pen. I also stitched a quick running stitch in thin cotton thread to denote the corners. Came in handy when gluing it down.


Paper Patterns


Embroidery finished (and out of focus)



My handmade upholstery hammer, pins like we used in the 60's and some E6000 (with a credit card to spread it)


Glue on


Start of the fabric strip with hammered in pins holding it n place. Always thinking!!


Wrapping it on the "dotted line".


Top in place


Box finished.


I am very pleased with the way this turned out. With Crows and Pine trees, how can you do wrong!

6 comments:

  1. Wow! That turned out really great! Love the design, and love the idea of covering with hand embroidered fabric!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, such work and perseverance! That's a quality that wasn't built into my wiring, but you inspire me and I'm making progress.
    LOVELY box!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Judy, Wow. It's absolutely gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the contrast is remarkably appealing!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very interesting to see how the finished piece came to be

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments. Thanks for visiting