30 January 2015

Play date with Dixie

This is my friend Dixie. Everyone needs a friend named Dixie (smile). She came over today to learn how to make a stamp from a photograph. We've had pretty continuous snow and we had just gotten about 4-6" of light powder so I figured we could do some snow dyeing THEN make a stamp. We each had our own set-up. Dixie used my Sakrete mixer and I used my double sink each with 1/2" hardware cloth.



Making a mess is fun!





At this point I needed the sink so I hogged Dixie's set-up while I popped the cloth piece by piece into my dye microwave.

**After about 3-4 hours just sittting there rotting, most of the snow is gone and I can see fabric peeking out. This is the time I put the fabric with the remaining snow cap in the microwave. I don't remember why I do this or where I learned it but I have no memory of doing snow dyes without this final microwave step. I put the microwave on high for 3-5 minutes depending on how much snow is left. If you want to be cautious, cover the dish with cling film and punch a dozen holes in the film with a sharp knife. The fabric will heat, maintain moisture but be able to vent.


These are Dixie's pieces





This is BEYOND scrumptious!!!


Then Dixie carved her stamp and did a GREAT job. Mine was a failure. You can't win them all.



Then she did one flat piece of Tyvec and two beads just to learn how. We had great Chinese carry-out and the day was perfect!


8 comments:

  1. Dixy created beautiful fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! you are very hardworking ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you explain more about putting the snow dye fabric in the microwave?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eileen. I don't have your email address so this is my answer:
    After about 3-4 hours just sitting there rotting, most of the snow is gone and I can see fabric peeking out. This is the time I put the fabric with the remaining snow cap in the microwave. I don't remember why I do this or where I learned it but I have no memory of doing snow dyes without this final microwave step. I put the microwave on high for 3-5 minutes depending on how much snow is left. If you want to be cautious, cover the dish with cling film and punch a dozen holes in the film with a sharp knife. The fabric will heat, maintain moisture but be able to vent.
    I also have a new tutorial on snow dyeing just under my header.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like you had a lot of fun. Love the portrait stamp!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous results with the dyeing and I'm very impressed with the stamp carving.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments. Thanks for visiting