25 July 2014

What can I do with this?


When I was going through my fabric stash looking for likely victims candidates for the self round robin, I came along this old piece which was a "failed" deconstructed silk screen on linen. The fabric was so scrumptious and the pale colors so appealing That I had hung on to it thinking there might be a place for it in my life one day. 

I badly needed a new purse and if I folded this is half it was just about the perfect size. Hum...let me see. There were bits of these colors.  



So I decided to thermofax screen some ginkgo leaves in all three colors.



This is an old thermofax screen I had made by Lyric Kinard 




Now I need a lining fabric. I think mint green is one of the ugliest colors ever created!! BUT, I needed a light colored fabric so my old eyes could actually see inside the purse, plus I had it in my stash so....



Fabric trimmed square, horrible green about to be trimmed to size and a binding color needed to be chosen. Second from top I think!



Yes



Heavy quilting done. This is just so relaxing to do.



Quilting on lining side.



I stitched it up with my new Baby Lock Eclipse which I bought myself for living through chemo and radiation. It threads itself by vacuuming the thread through the lower loopers. Be still my heart!!

I made the box seam on the bottom then...



Cut, ironed, folded, and ironed in half both the binding and the handle fabric



I cut a half inch wide strip of warm and nature cotton batting for inside the handle for heft, strength, and a dense surface for stitching.



 Binding was attached with the cut edge (top) of the purse like binding on a quilt. I started the binding with about 4" unattached so that at the end I could get a perfect fit. You can see the seam in the center top edge of the picture.

After ironing the seam open, I stitched it down with a double row of stitching.



Now the handles could be attached.



I also tacked the "corners" of the box shape to keep the purse square and not so floppy.



Done







 I was out of magnetic snaps so I just ordered them from ebay. I usually use the poke through kind. I have various ways of hiding the metal plate on the outside but


This time I also ordered some sew in kind. First I will use some E6000 fabric adhesive then stitch them down as well.


Snaps in with stitch and E6000



8 comments:

  1. I love the finished product Beth but I have to say I didn't like it all until you quilted it and then it was transformed !

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a marvelous purse from start to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great transformation of this fabric, and it looks terrific as a purse! I also like how you did the placement of the gingko figures. I have some thermofax screens of various hand-drawn flowers, and have had trouble placing multiple images on the fabric in a pattern I like. The way you have an occasional stem overlapping a previous leaf helps me think of another way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic! You are so creative.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful, adorable & the process makes it be a little miracle of creation! All that and useful too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very nice photos of your process. Cool product!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm still stuck on "threads itself". Wow! You managed to take mint green and make it look great, which is not an easy task. The purse is exquisite. The colours and pattern are simply stunning. If you haven't guessed, I really...really love it.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments. Thanks for visiting