05 April 2012

Mr. Crow finished 16" X 18"

The biggest problem with this piece was the puckering I got from NOT using an appropriately heavy stabilizer. I started to do my usual horizontal row after row of stitching and it looked horrible. I sat down and ripped every stitch of quilting out and was left with a perforated piece of cloth. I dampened a wash cloth and gently stroked the holey fabric with the dampened cloth and watched those perforations melt away. I ironed it dry and returned with some horrible variegated rayon thread. It kept binding ad clogging and being a general nuisance however I persevered and filled the background with a meandering stitch and managed to "flatten" out the puffy areas. I like him very much. I also forgot to mention that the cloth was a clean up rag I used while dyeing. It was new cloth that was pre-soaked and used on purpose since clean-up clothes serve two purposes of cleaning then usually become fabulous art cloth. I really love his toes.

3 comments:

  1. I think it was a heavy job to do, but the results are great. Even when I enlarge the photo. And yes, beautiful toes!
    gr. Marjolijn

    ReplyDelete
  2. De aanhouder wint! If you keep trying, you will succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's gorgeous!
    I just posted about the dragon fly I thread sketched in Susan Brubaker Knapp's class. That piece puckers as well, so maybe I should do what you did. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments. Thanks for visiting