17 November 2011

Now it’s starting to get heavy.

I forgot to show you the three configurations I used in assembling the blocks
log cabin-ish
                                                                          Stripes
                                                                    Square in a square

                                                                   6 rows done
                                                                             Unfurled
So far this process has been very quick and easy. I looked and looked for any info on joining rows on Marianne’s website. There was nothing specific about that part of the process. Many of the quilts in her gallery had solid fabric delineating the rows and I didn’t want that so I cut more strips about 13” long and joined the rows into long sashes. When the rows were joined with multiple fabric sashes, the join was not as noticeable which was the look I was going for. It was a bit harder and heavier working with the rows until the end when I started to wear a tacky glove to push and pull the bulk of the quilt on my left.
  This is something you DON'T want to do. I thought I would be very clever and surge the seam on the joining back strips. Don't do it. It was so bulky the machine kept getting hung up every time I sewed over the surged seam. Seemed like a good idea at the time...
Above I am treating the join as I did with the blocks and I am ironing the strips open readying it for the insertion of the batting strip which is 7 feet long then the fell flat seam (top stitched). You can clearly see the multiple fabric joining strip as the quilt drapes on the ironing table. It's not as harsh an appearance as a solid strip of one fabric.


After I finished doing the happy dance celebrating the completion of the quilt, I called my brother (recipient) to  tell him I was done. I told him how big the quilt was and he said he wanted it to be larger rather than smaller for the bed. So tomorrow I will show you the last few processes I used which are good to know and a picture of the finished quilt, which measures about 84" square.

5 comments:

  1. This is really beautiful. And looks like something I want to try next. I can't imagine how neatly this all fits together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really did just fit itself together. I am actually thinking of making a baby quilt as a gift to my brothers new grandson, Ryan, with the scraps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for going into so much detail over this method. I would love to give it a try. I love the colours you have used, the batiks are beautiful and turquoise is just about my favourite colour.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really was very fast and very easy. I was very much into the process as well as the products but didn't rush and just enjoyed each stage. The fact that I was documenting everything also helped me stay "in" the process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is way too cool!! I watched Melody make these and they are just the best! Love the colors in yours as well! VERY nice job!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing your comments. Thanks for visiting